For someone with a fondness for Rye whiskeys, the Manhattan is the way to go! Traditionally served “up” as opposed to in a rocks glass, this classy cousin to the Old Fashioned is a must try!
I recommend Sazerac, or Woodford Reserve Rye; or for a fancier version, try Michter’s Single Barrel or Jack Daniel’s Single Barrel Rye
What You’ll Need:
- Cocktail glass (aka Martini glass; champagne coupe or other stemmed glass will work in a pinch)
- 1.5-2.5 oz. Rye whiskey (bourbon can suffice, but rye is classic)
- 1-1.5 oz. Sweet Vermouth (Carpano Antica or Dolin are great options)
- Fill cocktail shaker about halfway with ice
- Stir whiskey, vermouth, and a few dashes of bitters together in shaker
- Strain into glass
- Garnish with a quality cherry (Toschi Amarena are the best in my opinion)
- Garnishes are totally personal preference and optional; omit the cherry if you don’t like ’em, you’re the one drinking it!