For the bourbon lover, the Old Fashioned is simple and amazingly delicious, allowing the whiskey to really shine. If you like fruity drinks or cocktails that mask the flavor of the spirit, this may not be the drink you’re looking for.
I recommend a solid, middle shelf bourbon like Woodford Reserve, Eagle Rare, or Buffalo Trace. For a slightly nicer version, try a step-up whiskey like Four Roses Single Barrel, or Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.
What you’ll need:
- 1 rocks glass (or similarly thick bottomed glass)
- 1.5-2.5 oz Bourbon of your choice
- Sugar cube (simple syrup or a fine sugar will also do)
- Orange peel
- Maraschino (or other quality) cherry
- Place a sugar cube in your glass
- Soak the cube in a few dashes of bitters (3 or more, according to taste)
- Muddle into a sugary slurry (A dash of water or soda here can help dissolve the sugar)
- Add whiskey to glass, stir with bar spoon
- Add ice according to preference (I recommend a whiskey stone or large ice ball to avoid diluting your delicious whiskey too much!)
- Garnish with a twist of orange peel, and/or a nice quality cherry (I recommend Toschi Amarena)
- Garnishes are totally personal preference and optional; omit the cherry, skip the orange, you’re the one drinking it!
- If you don’t have a fresh orange on hand, orange bitters can take its place!